- [IGEE] The first「GEEF for ALL」special seminar - A global call for urgent action to promote peace and human rights in Myanmar
- The Institute for Global Engagement & Empowerment (IGEE) at Yonsei University held its first special forum, ‘GEEF for ALL,’ via YouTube on May 10, 2021. ‘GEEF for ALL’ is being held quarterly regarding the topic of ‘Sustainable Development.’ Its first special seminar, held under the theme “Human Rights and Peace of Myanmar,” discussed the overall critical situation, which was mainly caused by the military coup in February. The first ‘GEEF for ALL’ began with a special speech by Ban Ki-moon, the Honorary Chair of IGEE (8th Secretary-General of the United Nations), followed by a keynote speech by Yanghee Lee, a professor at Sungkyunkwan University (former UN Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in Myanmar.) The seminar was moderated by Lee Sang Kook, a professor from the Department of Cultural Anthropology at Yonsei University, and the speakers and panelists included Dr. Maung Zarni, the Co-founder of FORSEA (Forces of Renewal Southeast Asia), Mr. Maung Zaw, the representative of ThaByae (an organization supporting child health and education in Myanmar), and Kim Young-Mi, a Korean production director specializing in global disputes. Throughout the seminar, they not only discussed the details of the Myanmar crisis but also recognized the gravity of the issue and debated the means of responding to the current situation in Myanmar. In his opening speech, Honorary Chair Ban Ki-moon emphasized that “the Myanmar crisis is neither a domestic situation nor an internal matter,” and that he urges “the UN and ASEAN leaders to take immediate actions to halt the violence and bloodshed, and initiate a process to restore peace and democracy in Myanmar.” Professor Yanghee Lee stressed that “the Security Council, individual states, and groups of states can all apply pressure to the military by supporting the ‘3-cuts strategy’: cutting the weapons, cash, and impunity,” She further added that urgent actions must be taken to “support the peoples of Myanmar as they fight to free themselves from tyranny.” During the panel discussion, the inhumane actions carried out by the military, the military’s aggressive suppression strategies, and Myanmar’s current human rights issues were further discussed. Dr. Maung Zarni, the Co-founder of FORSEA firmly stated that the ultimate goal of the peoples of Myanmar is to “not simply return to the pre-coup limited democracy within the framework of the military’s Constitution of the year 2008,” but to establish a “New Inclusive Society & Federal Democracy,” in which universal human rights are protected. Mr. Maung Zaw, the Representative of ThaByae as well as a human rights activist highlighted that “the younger generation is fighting at the frontline of the protests against the military coup,” and that “although it may take quite some time, the peoples of Myanmar will incessantly fight for the restoration of democracy.” Moreover, production director Kim Young-Mi introduced three youth protestors, who had become leaders of the resistance after the military launched a coup in February. She also touched on Myanmar’s tragic reality and the military’s flagrant abuse of human rights. She emphasized that now could be “the golden time” to restore peace and human rights in Myanmar. All the speakers who participated in the discussion shared a common opinion that the international community, including ASEAN countries, and the United Nations must cooperate to ameliorate and resolve the current situation in Myanmar. The Institute for Global Engagement and Empowerment (IGEE) at Yonsei University was established in 2017 to strengthen the university's social responsibility to educate future leaders of our society under three significant values: engagement, innovation, and excellence. With the aim of increasing awareness of the importance of sustainable development, IGEE has been hosting an annual international GEEF (Global Engagement & Empowerment Forum on Sustainable Development) in February. “GEEF for ALL” was created to serve as an effective and sustainable platform to share constructive opinions and raise awareness of global issues. ‘GEEF for ALL’ seminars will be continuously held in the future and actively engage in the UN 2030 agenda for sustainable development in high hopes of creating a better world for everyone. Attachments A) Ban Ki-moon, Honorary Chair of IGEE at Yonsei University addresses the audience at the first ‘GEEF for ALL’ on May 10, 2021. B) Professor Lee Sang Kook(Left) from Yonsei University, Professor Yanghee Lee(Center) from Sungkyunkwan University, and Production Director Kim Young-Mi(Right) discuss the Myanmar crisis at the first ‘GEEF for ALL’ on May 10, 2021.
- 글로벌사회공헌원 관리자 2021.05.13
- [IGEE] Join us at the GEEF for ALL Special seminar: 「Human Rights & Peace of Myanmar」!
- The Institute for Global Engagement & Empowerment (IGEE) at Yonsei University holds to the Global Engagement & Empowerment Forum on Sustainable Development (GEEF) special seminar in title of GEEF for ALL. IGEE hosts the first special seminar, the GEEF for ALL: Human Rights & Peace of Myanmar to actively engage in and explore ways of strengthening global partnership to ameliorate the situation and ensure the safety and human rights of the current residents in Myanmar! Join us to the GEEF for ALL seminar from 3PM to 4:30PM(Seoul, South Korea), Monday, May 10, 2021, you can watch the event in real-time from anywhere in the world! The registration for GEEF for ALL: Human Rights & Peace of Myanmar is currently available at: "Go to Registration" Looking forward to e-meeting you soon!
- 글로벌사회공헌원 관리자 2021.05.03
- [IGEE] GEEF 2021 Results
- Global Engagement and Empowerment Forum (GEEF) 2021 Results Discussions about the global cooperation and its changes in the post-pandemic world On February 4 and 5, Yonsei University held Global Engagement & Empowerment Forum on Sustainable Development (GEEF) with about 3,500 participants online. During the Special Conversation with Angelina Jolie and Ban Ki-moon, there were about 1,000 real-time participants. The topic of the third GEEF was '3Ps Beyond Security: Peace, Prosperity, and Partnership.' Accordingly, the speakers discussed about the changes in global cooperation for the achievement of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in the time of extended crisis of COVID-19 and the effect of climate change. Seoung Hwan Suh said in his Welcome Remarks on February 5, "GEEF will play a pivotal role in presenting solutions for future generations with experts from all sectors. The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Kang Kyung-wha, underlined "the importance of equitable and affordable supply of vaccine" in the Congratulatory Remark on the same day. The former Austrian President Heinz Fischer stressed the importance of the efforts to advance the SDGs. In her Keynote Speech, UN Deputy Secretary-General, Amina J. Mohammed emphasized the role of the international community to guarantee the rights of vulnerable groups and to create an inclusive society. The first president of Kazakhstan, Nursultan Nazarbayev, Colombian President, Iván Duque Márquez, and the 12th World Bank President, Jim Yong Kim also made a Keynote Speech emphasizing the use of multilateralism and innovative technologies to overcome COVID-19 and poverty. From 9:10 am on February 5, a Round Table was held on the theme of 'Global Partnership During and Post-COVID-19', and from 3 pm on the same day, a Plenary Session was held on the theme of "Towards Carbon Neutrality for Planetary Sustainability." The third GEEF was attended by world renowned experts and scholars from various fields, including Margaret Chan, the 7th Secretary General of the World Health Organization (WHO), Jeffrey D. Sachs, Professor of Columbia University, A. K. Abdul Momen, Foreign Minister of Government of the People's Republic of Bangladesh, Maria Castillo-Fernandez, EU Ambassador to Republic of Korea, Patrick V. Verkooijen, CEO of the Global Center on Adaptation (GCA), Soogil Young, CEO of the Korea Sustainable Development and Solution Network (SDSN), Bindu N. Lohani, Chairman of Board, Clean Air Asia, and Jean Asselborn, Minister of Foreign and European Affairs, Luxembourg. Participants gathered their ideas for what kind of efforts and common resources will be necessary for the recovery and cooperation for the collapsing humanity. Although on-site participation was not open to the public, there were active discussions among the participants through Youtube Live. On February 5, from 10:40 am Angelina Jolie, Special Envoy of the UNHCR and Ban Ki-moon, Honorary Chair of the Institute for Global Engagement and Empowerment (the 8th UN Secretary-General) discussed the need for global cooperation to cope with global inequality caused by COVID-19 and climate change, as well as global efforts for children, women, and refugees. Angelina Jolie said, "there is no better investment than investment in refugees," stressing that "it is not only a humane thing to do, but also it is a smart thing to do." The speakers agreed on the urgency of the mental health issues of refugees situated in human rights violations and the need for education to help children recognize their own rights. In addition, experts in six academic Featured Sessions sought international cooperation after COVID-19 in various fields such as future direction for achieving SDGs, higher education, social and creative innovation, and utilization of 4th industrial revolution technology. In his closing remarks, Ban Ki-moon emphasized the importance of "sustainability based on solidarity with each other." The event ended with a message that "cooperation beyond borders should lead to the progress of the Paris Agreement on Sustainable Development Goals and Climate Change set by the UN." GEEF is jointly sponsored by Institute for Global Engagement and Empowerment at Yonsei University, Ban Ki-moon Foundation for A Better Future, and Ban Ki-moon Centre for Global Citizens in Austria. This year's event was officially sponsored by POSCO, FleishmanHillard Korea, and Hanbul Motors. The forum was streamed on Youtube Live (www.youtube.com/c/IGEEyonsei) in both English and Korea and photos will be provided on the GEEF website (www.geef-sd.org/).
- 글로벌사회공헌원 관리자 2021.02.22
- International University Social Responsibility (USR): Priorities for the Next Decade 2021
- IGEE's partner, University of Social Responsibility Network (USRN) is opening online registration for International University Social Responsibility (USR): Priorities for the Next Decade For detailed information, Please visit USR Summit 2021 Website. USR Summit Promo Codes for Yonsei University 390695971200 559843946506 Registration Link
- 글로벌사회공헌원 관리자 2021.01.19
- [IGEE] Global Engagement & Empowerment Forum 2021
- Global Engagement & Empowerment Forum 2021 will be held online from February 4th to 5th. For further information, please go to the program detail on the website. **GEEF 2021 Website http://geef-sd.org/html/ If you have any questions about the forum, please feel free to contact GEEF-Secretariat through the contact information below. *Tel: 82-2-2123-4424, 4439 * E-mail: email@example.com
- 글로벌사회공헌원 관리자 2021.01.15
- [Ban Ki-moon Center for International Cooperation] [Social Engagement Fund 2018] Research / Activity Report
- IGEE has supported 5 teams' research and student activity from September 1, 2018 ~ August 31, 2019 under name of SEF 2018. Total 41,850,000KRW were supported for the 5 teams. SEF 2019 is ongoing through University Innovation Support Project's support (September 1, 2019 ~ August 31, 2020).
- 글로벌사회공헌원 관리자 2020.02.14
- [IGEE] GEEF 2020 Internship Program announcement (2nd Notice)
- 글로벌사회공헌원 관리자 2019.12.30
- [Center for Social Engagement] Recruitment for China-Japan-Korea SERVE Initiative 2019 Program
- 글로벌사회공헌원 관리자 2019.05.27
- [IGEE] Recruitment of the 2019 Solution Lab Research Teams
- [IGEE] Recruitment of the 2019 Solution Lab Research Teams ※ The research grants on the 2019 Solution Lab are funded by the University Innovation Program. 1. Summary of the Research Projects a. Subject: Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and Social Engagement b. Goal: A practical contribution to the society and a creation of a socially participating culture at Yonsei University by suggesting solutions for current social issues through the collective knowledge 2. Details a. Qualifications: More than 2 faculty members or postdoctoral researchers at Yonsei University must be included in a team. ※ Experts in relevant fields may be included. ※ The affiliations or the majors of team members must be different. (It is according to the meeting costs standards from the University Innovation Program by the Ministry of Education.) b. Research Period: July 1st, 2019 ~ January 31st, 2020 (7 months) c. Research Grants: KRW 2,000,000 / team (for meetings, supplies, printing and publishing) d. The Number of Teams: about 5 teams 3. Application a. Submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org b. Closing Date: 18:00 (KST), June 7th, 2019 4. Announcement of the Result Selected teams will be contacted individually. 5. Others a. The supported fund must be used by using a corporate credit card, which is issued for the IGEE and given to the team representative. The expenditure provisions follow the regulations of the finance department at Yonsei University. (Please refer to the detailed regulations of the Solution Lab.) b. The result report must be submitted within 1 week after the end of the project. (in English, in writing) c. If using the content and the result of your project for another purpose, it must be stated that the project is funded by the Solution Lab Program of the IGEE. 6. Contact a. E-mail: email@example.com b. +82-(0)2-2123-4423
- 글로벌사회공헌원 관리자 2019.05.22
- [IGEE] Towards Global Peace: Strengthening Youth's Involvement in the Global Nuclear Dialogue
- Registration for "Towards Global Peace: Strengthening Youth's Involvement in the Global Nuclear Dialogue" is now open!! Please click below for your registration and more information about the program. bit.ly/tgpkorea We are also looking for Korean graduate students who can share their views on the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula during the event session. Please refer to the attached file for more details.
- 글로벌사회공헌원 관리자 2019.05.15