1. Name of University (Country name): Keio University (Japan)
Keio University is the oldest and most highly rated private university in Japan. Its history dates back to the formation of a school for Dutch studies in 1858. The Graduate School of Media and Governance is located in the university’s Shonan Fujisawa campus.
2. Dual degree programme: Master of Media and Governance
The Graduate School of Media and Governance offers eight different programs that include four English-based and four Japanese-based programs. The students are expected to learn new methodologies, pursue specialised research, and gain expertise by joining one of the eight programs.
(1) English-based programs: Human Security and Communication (HC), Environmental Design and Governance (EG), Cyber Informatics (CI), Systems Biology (BI)
(2) Japanese-based programs: Global Governance and Regional Strategy (GR), Policy Making and Social Innovation (PS), Cognition, Sense-Making and Biophysical Skills (CB), X-Design (XD)
For further information on each program, see the link below.
3. General Information
(1) Admission Criteria
- Students registered in the first or second semester of the GSIS
- Students with a valid Japanese language certificate for Japanese-based programs
- Students who are recommended by the program chair
- Students who are physically healthy
- Students who have not received any disciplinary action
- Students who have no problem obtaining a Japanese visa
- Students who meet all other conditions specified in the dual degree agreement
- Thesis is compulsory if student takes dual degree program
(2) Admission schedule
- Website announcement: Every April and October
- Available date: Every semester
(3) Required documents
- An application form (Format will be posted on GSIS website)
- Study plan
- Official transcript from undergraduate and graduate school
- 4 copies of passport size photo
- Japanese or English language proficiency
- Recommendation letter from program chair and other professional or academic references
(4) Application proces
- Nomination process among Yonsei University candidates
- Candidates who passed the first screening submit the documents to Keio University
- Final nomination process of Keio University
4. Tuition, Scholarship and length of visit
- Pay a tuition fee at Yonsei University not Keio University
- If student wants to continue his or her study at Keio University after 4th semester, he or she needs to make a payment at Keio University.
- Keio University provides ￥700,000 amount of living cost support
(3) Length of visit
- One semester (up to two semesters)
- Students can stay more than two semesters but he or she needs to make a Keio full tuition fee payment in that case.