As we can see from modern society being called as the industrial society, there is almost no organization or individuals who do not perform economic activities. In addition, almost all aspects of social fields require economic knowledge. Therefore, graduates of the Department School of Economics advance into various fields after graduation and contribute to social development.
Graduates are entering various financial institutions such as special banks including the central bank of the Bank of Korea, commercial banks, securities companies, financial institutions of the secondary financial sector and general companies. Students are also making progress in international organizations, international trade, and international finance through graduate courses. Some graduates work in the Ministry of Strategy and Finance by passing the Public Administration Exam and some work in Foreign Affairs and Trade by passing the Foreign Service Exam. In addition, many graduates from the Department School of Economics are progressing to academia and research institutes.
Looking at the current status of graduates, about 50% of the 4,000 students work in various companies, and about 20% are engaged in the financial systemsector. About 5% of them are in academia and research institutes, and 2 ~ 3% of alumni are in bureaucracies and media.
- Financial sector
- Many graduates from the Department School of Economics work in the financial sector and they occupy a key position in this sector. In this era of global finance being dominant, majoring Economics would not only help understand the financial phenomena but also help in adapting to specific practices. In order to be successful as a securities and foreign exchange dealer or a fund manager, it is necessary to accurately predict various economic variables such as exchange rate and interest rate. For this reason, the most competent investors in the securities markets around the world are those who majored in Economics at the undergraduate level. In the case of Korea, as the financial sector changes and develops in accordance with the global trend, the demand for economics major is expected to continue.
- Government Department
- Economy-related departments which constitute the majority of government agencies and non-related departments also demand those who majored in Economics. In addition to the central administration, local administrations also demand economic experts. In order to become a high-ranked public official, you must pass the national examination. In this examination, Economics major is in more advantageous status than other majors. Also, Economics majors are superior in terms of business and promotion. In the future, even if open employment of public officials increases, demand for economics majors will be higher than other major majors.
- International Organization
- With the advancement of mechanization, opportunities to enter the international organizations are expanding. The International Monetary Fund (IMF), the World Bank (IBRD), the World Trade Organization (WTO), the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and International Finance Corporation (IFC) all employ Economics majors as economic specialists. As the share of Korea in the global society and the economy grows larger, our country is more actively involved in these international organizations. In such international organizations, Economics majors are preferred over other majors. In light of these various circumstances, it is expected that the demand for international organizations for Korean Economics majors will increase sharply.
- In order to become a competent executive in today's enterprise, one of the basic requirements is to be an economist. As the globalization of the world market proceeds, the fate of a corporation is no longer determined solely by internal factors. Almost all companies are now constantly interacting with the global and national economies as a whole. For this reason, modern entrepreneurs should be capable of detailed management and be able to analyze and predict the flow of domestic and foreign economies utilizing economics knowledge. In addition, Economic training is required for the directors of large corporations and intermediate managers to have objective judgment ability, the ability to analyze the economic situation, the management ability of the company's funds and organization, and the ability to cope with various crises. Economics major is expected to be a good qualification in general companies.
- Those who majored in Economics occupy constitute a large part in journalism. Today, the department of the economy is important in various media organizations at home and abroad, and its importance is likely to increase in the future. In addition, the demand for economic experts is expected to increase because newspapers and broadcasting media that deal only with economic issues are continuously increasing. As economic experts have their own expertise, their positions are safer than other specialized occupations.
- Academia and Research Institute
- All major universities in Korea and abroad have emphasized Economics and have actively expanded Economics faculty. In addition, government and private economic research institutes and other economic research institutes are increasing at domestically and internationally. The Demand for economic research institutes and economic experts is expected to increase steadily considering the increasing importance of the Economy in society.