Public administration focuses on the research of government management. It is a form of applied social science that efficiently administers complex and diverse spheres of government management. Moreover, it generally designs the direction of a balanced development between a country and its social sectors.
Today, the management of a nation not only involves public sector, but it also involves an organic relationship with voluntary sectors like private firm and civic group. In addition, it requires management of variation happening in the rapidly changing social environment. Indeed it involves a wide scope of fields. Therefore public administration is endowed with the academic significance of endeavoring to contribute to the development of the nation’s society by establishing an administrative organization that can deal with various public tasks and cultivating the ability to make right decision and appropriate method of administration.
Furthermore, no matter the institution, a modern organization must have talented people with vision, judgment, capability, wide personal networking skills, and flexibility. So, the education of public administration focuses on providing practical knowledge that promptly meets the needs of the times. In fact, the alumni of Yonsei University’s Department of Public Administration are endowed with these capabilities and achievements, and so they thrive in diverse sectors and institutions such as government service, corporate offices, and other professions.
Needless to say, both undergraduate and graduate students of Yonsei’s Department of Public Administration are top-notch students. The department expects students to grow up to be the talented that meets the needs of the times by applying themselves closely to the studies. In addition, faculty, staff members, and all the other members of Yonsei’s Department of Public Administration will do the best in helping the students cultivate vision and ability to lead the future.
The Purpose and Overview of Education
The Department of Public Administration was established in 1958 and pioneered undergraduate education of public administration in Korea. In accordance with the long-term development plan of Yonsei University, in March 1981, the Department of Law was separated from the College of Political Science and Law, and the Department of Public Administration was included in the newly established College of Social Science.
The Department of Public Administration has set educational goals in preparation for the era of internationalization, openness and localization.
- (1) Creative Planning and Management Skills
- (2) Rational Problem-Solving Ability
- (3) Cooperation and Harmonization Among Individuals
- (4) Active Response to Change
- (5) Fostering Dedicated Individuals with Strong Task Orientation
Majors and Focus Areas
- Planning, Research, Investigation & Analysis
- The theories and practical affairs of topics such as short and long term business planning, enforcement planning, business diagnostics, and R&A are taught through lectures focused on planning theory. Through concepts such as investigative methodology and policy evaluation theory, students are systematically taught the layout of research and investigation, data acquisition and analysis, as well as results analysis and application methods.
- Human Resources and Organizational Research
- Students are provided knowledge on human resource systems, human resource management, education & training, reward/ compensation systems, labor and management relations, and entitlement programs. Practical training is also conducted regarding the structure and operation of organizations, organizational diagnostics, organizational development, management strategy, and motivation & leadership. Particular emphasis is placed on education regarding the development of HR and organizational theories befitting the particulars of Korean society, and on the development of vertical and lateral interpersonal relationships within organizations.
- Financial Analysis
- Various theories and practical techniques are taught regarding budgetary systems, the formation and operation of budgets, account balancing & examination, financial functions, government expenditure analysis, tax systems, and advisory finance.
- Policy Determination & Policy Analysis
- This focus explores the theories and examples of policy analysis and assessment, as well as teaching the practical application of policy making and decision making methods.
- Responding to the Age of ‘Internationalization’
- From an education basis of political economics, ideologies, economic theory, and contemporary thought, we compare and research international relationships along the lines of development theory and search for the path that Korea must take in this age of increasing globalization.
- Responding to the Information Age
- Education is provided in computing languages, computer applications, Word Processor, Office Automation etc. and, through investigation methodology and statistics, high level skills are cultivated in scientific diagnosis, analysis, and prediction.
- Responding to the Age of Localization
- We strive to provide students with the skills necessary to understand and respond to regional conditions by teaching regional administration, regional governance theory, city administration, and regional development theory.
- Emphasis on Social Responsibility
- Given the inherently communality of administration, heavy emphasis is placed on the common good and social responsibility. To this end, topics including administrative philosophy, public service ethics, and administrative history are taught.
- Emphasis on Government-Business Relationships
- Through the Government-Enterprise Relationship Theory we teach the relationships between corporations and governments, and by way of providing education on communality and entrepreneurship of publicly owned enterprises we teach the spirit and philosophy of managing business interests in the face of societal responsibility.
- Adjacent Social Science Education
- We ensure that students possess the basic knowledge to enable them to adapt to any situation by providing education on closely related social sciences like economics (principles of economics, korean economic theory, economic policy), law (constitution, civil law, administrative law, international law), political science, sociology, psychology, and social psychology.
1. Scholarship Programs
Regular scholarships are awarded by the university headquarters according to school policy to those students who, through an impartial screening process, have been determined to show outstanding academic performance (Academic Excellence Scholarship) or due to family economic circumstances have difficulty managing tuition expenses (Familial Hardship Scholarship). The academic excellence scholarship is awarded in amounts of ½ and ⅓ of tuition costs, and the familial hardship scholarship is awarded in full and ½ amounts. Aside from this, the Department of Public Administration maintains its own scholarship funds totaling 640 million KRW as of 2005.
- Department of Public Administration Special Scholarship
- Started by an anonymous donation of 200 million KRW, and having grown to the Department of Public Administration’s largest scholarship fund, this scholarship is awarded to students who show academic excellence, familial hardship, and those who contribute to the development of the department.
- Department of Public Administration Alumni Scholarship
- Funded by the donations of alumni and outside organizations as well as the 10 million KRW donated annually by the alumni who participate in the ‘Homecoming’ event, this scholarship is awarded to students who show academic excellence, familial hardship, and those who contribute to the development of the department.
- Kim Seongchan Memorial Scholarship
- Started with 100 million KRW donated by the family of late Department of Public Administration alumnus Kim Seongchan (class of ‘64), in accordance with his will, this scholarship is awarded to students who show academic excellence, familial hardship, and those who contribute to the development of the department.
- Department of Public Administration General Alumni Association Scholarship
- Started in 2004 with a 23 million KRW donation by the Department of Public Administration General Alumni Association, this scholarship is awarded to students who show academic excellence, familial hardship, and those who contribute to the development of the department.
- Lee Yangsu Scholarship Fund
- Started with a 100 million KRW donation by Department of Public Administration Professor Lee Yangsu, this scholarship is awarded to students who show academic excellence, familial hardship, and those who contribute to the development of the department.
- Additional Scholarships
- The operating revenue from a scholarship fund amounting to 42 million KRW (Samho Fund, Ahn Yongsik Fund, Orim Fund) is awarded to students who show academic excellence, familial hardship, and those who contribute to the development of the department.
2. National Examination Support System
- Department of Public Administration ‘Hwabaek-sil’
- After the establishment of the College of Politics and Law, Department of Public Administration in 1958, in 1962 the Hwabaek-sil (화백실- exam prep room for those preparing for civil service examinations) was established on the third floor of the National Liberation Hall, now the law school building. In 1984, as the College of Social Sciences moved Yonhee Hall, the Hwabaek-sil was seated in its present location on the 3rd floor of Billingsly Hall. Currently there are 40 students from the Department of Public Administration striving for success in the National Examinations.
- National Examination Dormitory
- Since the second semester of 1998, dormitory space has been established for students preparing for national service examinations. The College of Social Science, which has many students preparing for national examinations, especially from the Department of Public Administration, is allocated space for 46 male and 12 female students to have a good atmosphere in which to conduct their individual national exam preparations.
3. Autonomous Student Activities
- The Department of Public Administration Student Council takes charge of events such as the start of semester festival called ‘Haengjeong-in Hanmadang (People of Public Admin Festival)’ in March and the Department of Public Administration MT (Meeting/Retreat) held in May in order to promote harmony and amity among the members of our department. In the Fall, Public Admin members enjoy the PA Athletic Competition, and the Yon-Go-Jeon (Yonsei/ Korea University Athletic Competition) together. And finally, in December, community members can end the year and spend meaningful time with others from the public admin community at the General Alumni Association year-end party.