Sociology is the study of reading, understanding, and rewriting society itself. Sociology aims to understand diverse societies and individuals who live within them by the macro/microscopic, historical and scientific way. Yonsei University's sociology analyzes and explains many fields such as politics, economics, culture, education, and gender based on its sensitivity to inequality, and lays the foundation for many studies and policies.
Yonsei University's sociology department continued to rise to 80th, 67th and 41st place in the field of sociology, announced annually by the World University Evaluation (QS) since 2021, ranking among the world's 50th in 2023. It is the only achievement among domestic sociology department that has improved the research ability and reputation of the department by continuously selecting the second to fourth stages of the BK21 project group of the Ministry of Education. As a matter of fact, Yonsei University's sociology department is the only domestic sociology department to be named as the author of the American Social Review and American Journal of Social Studies, the two largest journal of sociology in the world.
Detailed Majors and Focus Areas
- Methodology field
- Students will learn various social research techniques such as questionnaires and interviews, and learn how to analyze data collected through surveys.
- Theoretical field
- This area covers the basic theories of social composition and change, including classical social theory and current social theory.
- Major Particulars field
- This focus area is divided into general major courses (3000 level units) and advanced/intensive major courses (4000 level units).
Prospects and Career Paths after Graduation
Sociology is the foundation and bridge of many studies. Graduates majoring in sociology are taking various career paths and demonstrating their capabilities throughout the society. There are many people who enter the civil society for public sociological activities, and they may go on to become companies, teachers, finance, and accountants. Recently, the proportion of employment in industries, especially in data science-related industries, is higher than in other social science fields or schools. After graduation, they can enter academia and conduct graduate courses, and at this time, you can include various fields such as politics, business administration, education, social welfare, and administration.
(1) 긍정 scholarship
- The fund was raised annually by undergraduate alumni associations in sociology.Examination and selection by the alumni association.
- Announcement of application through the department website and student council throughout August every year.
- Many of the applicants were selected (10 people in the past few years), 1 million won each.
- Selection criterion: Sociological identity and mind, future aspirations and plans (a letter of self-introduction is important)
- Selected by the alumni association. Once a year (not by semester). It is paid regardless of whether or not you receive a national scholarship. Unlike other scholarships, it is not based on grades or household conditions. First-year students can also apply.
(2) 소망 scholarship
- Scholarship funds by anonymous donors. Screening and selection in department.
- Before the start of each semester (February and August), Notice of application through the department website and student council.
- Two applicants will be selected, 3 million won each.
- Selection criterion: Sociological identity and mind, future aspirations and plans. Although it is not selected only by grades and household conditions, such conditions are comprehensively considered. Therefore, a letter of self-introduction is important, Evidential materials can be submitted.
- It is paid regardless of the benefits of the national scholarship. It is not chosen as a standard such as grades or household difficulties. First-year students can also apply.
Tel : +82-2123-4923 / E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Room 210, Yonsei University Yenhee Hall, 50, Yonsei-Ro, Seodaemun-gu, Seoul 03722, Korea.