M.S. Degree (admissions after March, 2005)
- • More than one Domestic/International Journal accepted or one presentation on Domestic/International authorized conference (be the first author except academic adviser) or one domestic patent application (be the first inventor except academic adviser).
Ph.D. Degree (admissions after March, 2005)
- • More than four papers accepted in Domestic/International authorized journal as the first author. At least two of them should be the SCI level (be the first author beside academic adviser. In case of a domestic journal, it should be the listed journal by the National Research Foundation of Korea).
- • At least two presentations on an International conference. Or one presentation on International conference and one domestic patent application (be the first author (inventor) beside academic adviser).
• Two accepted journal papers following the department weighting criteria (be the first author except academic adviser), (including SCI, SCIE and domestic SCI, SCIE), e.g. one Q1 (top 25% journal) paper or two Q2 (top 50% journal) papers.
- i. Weighted value follows the lowest % of the journal’s sub-categories.
ii. Weighted value is applied as following (based on the date of submit) :
- * Top 5% or *justified journal : ×3
- * Top 25% or *justified journal : ×2
- * Top 50% or *justified journal : ×1
- * Top 75% or *justified journal : ×0.75
- * Top 100% or *justified journal : ×0.5
- • More than two presentations on International conference. Or one presentation on International conference and one domestic patent application (be the first author (inventor) except academic adviser).
Due to the globalization of our graduate school, freshman after fall semester, 2006 must submit their Ph.D. thesis in English (If the whole thesis is written in English, 5 pages of Korean abstract is needed).
Things to Know
1. Scholarship students on general admissions (Special outstanding students receiving 4 semester scholarship)
- • New admitted outstanding students want to receive 4 semester scholarship should get a GPA of 3.7 in every previous semester. Scholarship is terminated if the GPA is under 3.7.
2. When you achieved Ph.D. (Combined) degree
- • Following section 5.1 of the Higher Education Act (announcement of Ph.D. thesis), you should report your thesis result to the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology within one year.
3. Students entered from different major
- • Candidate from different major (except majors related to EE) should complete supplementary 12 credits for different major students (before graduating semester, 2nd semester).
- • Period: submit the application form within the period of registration for courses following notice.
4. English exam for master/Ph.D.
• Based on graduate school regulation, students should submit a valid English exam results (taken within 2 year) before 3rd semester (January, July).
- * Master / Ph.D. before entrance of 2006 : TOEFL 500, TOIEC 630, TEPS 570
- * Ph.D. after entrance of 2006 : TOEFL(CBT) 540(207), TOEIC 730, TEPS 600
* Achieving within 2nd semester is recommended.
5. Graduation Examination
1) If you get GPA (grade point average) of 3.65/4.3 on 3 (for master program), 3 (for Ph.D. program), 6 (for combined course) major classes (call graduation classes hereafter), we regard it as you passed the graduation examination. Graduation classes can be freely selected among the major classes you have attended, after the date you registered for graduation examination.
A) How to calculate GPA (as in the following table on subsection D):
GPA = sum of (grade point * credits) / whole achieved credits
- B) Grades of the graduation classes are following your transcript.
- C) We do not round off for the GPA below decimal point.
D) Grade-point table
등급/평점표 Grade A+ A0 A- B+ B0 B- Point 4.3 4.0 3.7 3.3 3.0 2.7
- A) How to calculate GPA (as in the following table on subsection D):
- 2) You can choose maximum two classes of your advising professor’s class for graduation class. If Ph.D. or combined program (not for master program) student took a class opened by other departments, you need a confirmation from graduate school committee that the class is very much related to your major if you want to select that class as graduation class. Individual research and field research are not allowed for graduation classes.
- 3) Class with grade point under C+ is not allowed for graduation class. For Ph.D. program students, if you got master’s degree in Yonsei university and took same class in both Ph.D. and master program, that class is also not allowed for graduation class.
- 4) Graduation examination is held at the end of every semester, and only the students after third semester (master program), third semester (Ph.D. program) and fifth semester (combined program) can apply for it.
- All the graduation examination policies above are for students entered after March, 2011. Students entered before March, 2011 can choose whether to follow modified or previous policies.
- With enforcing above policies, students are now due to write and submit study plan to their advising professor after their entrance.
- Even though the master program student couldn’t fulfill the policies above, if the student’s research ability is outstanding and they have proof for it, petition from advising professor and decision of graduate school committee can replace graduation examination to presentation evaluation. For presentation evaluation, five full-time professors from electrical and electronic department should attend, and more than one professor among them should be assigned to graduate school committee. Pass of presentation evaluation means all five professors gave pass for it.
6. Ph.D. thesis study plan submission
- • During Ph.D. course, after passing the qualification exams (Graduation examination and English), if you are on 4th semester (for combined, 6th semester) and already took over 30 (for combined, 54) credit including current semester, you should submit Ph.D. thesis study plan within that semester.
7. Enroll in classes
- • Research guidance: (I) is for 4th semester in master program or early graduation students, and (II) is for Ph.D. (combined) program. You must take it before graduation, and since it is P/NP class, it is not added to GPA.
- • Individual research: It is not a mandatory class. For master, (I), (II), (III) (6 credits), for Ph.D., (IV), (V), (VI) (6 credits) and for combined, (I), (II), (III), (IV) (8 credits) are available to take. But these credits are not counted as major credit.
- • For ‘Research guidance’ and ‘Individual research’, grading is done by advising professor, at the end of semester.
- • ENG6060 or ENG6100 or YSG6003 is mandatory class for graduation (once within master/Ph.D./combined. If you took the class in master, it is not needed in Ph.D. program).
※ ENG6060, ENG6100 and YSG6003 are P/NP class, so they are not added to GPA.
8. Credit for major class
- • For master/Ph.D. program, you need 30 credits and for combined program, you need 54 credits in total. Among 30/54 credits, over 21/36 credits should be achieved in your major (credit exchange (electrical & electronics class) is allowed. Also student enrolled after March, 2006, students can include maximum 6 non-major credits to the credit for major class if it is approved from your advising professor. In that case, you should submit the approval of your advising professor when you register for the class).
- • GPA should be over 3.00 for conferment of degree (following graduate school by-laws).
- • Individual research is not counted as the credit for major class.
9. Strict observance of registration deadline for academic administration
- • There is no additional registration period, and we make it rule to submit every document by oneself.
10. Other Precautions
- • Freshmen or students should register private information on the portal web-site. And when your private information change, you have to correct it (especially, phone number and bank account number).
- • English name on the portal web-site should be identical to one on the passport.
- • Industrial academic research students cannot take time off without specific reasons (when you take time off, you are expelled) (Submitting a proof of employment to graduate school is needed for each semester).
- • During the time off, you cannot take qualification exam (English, overall test) (That is, for take-off students and expelled students, we don't approve passing the qualification exam).
- • The students who want to extend a thesis deadline must pass the qualification exam first (that is, for master program students (over 8 semesters), Ph.D. students (over 14 semesters) and combined students (over 16 semesters) who want to extend two years) (and the students who cannot extend more are expelled).
11. Other details are following graduate school regulation.